Monday, August 14, 2006

Day Three - And We're Off

As in a day off. From running. Which is good. Because I'm sore.

Very, very sore.

Here's something I learned: when you're 30 your body tends to recover a little bit slower from things like running 5 miles after leading a completely sedentary lifestyle for the better part of a year.

Of course, it's all relative. I'm sure that at 30 your body recovers faster from brainless exertion than it does at age 40, but I've never been 40, so I don't know for sure. I just know that it's taking longer than it did when I was 20 and decided that I was in much better shape than I really was when I decided to start exercising.

All of this is just a fancy way for me to say that I shouldn't have run the 5 miles on Saturday. I know you're probably getting sick of hearing me complain about that, but be patient because Wednesday is just around the corner and that is our next hardcore training session. I'll be sure to be full of all new complaints after that.

Basically today's entry is just taking up some space because I told myself that I would make daily contributions to this blog when I had the time and the opportunity to do so. And seeing as the most interesting thing I have done tonight is pull a tiny little piece of glass out of my foot after stepping on it while cooking dinner, I figured I had both.

Tomorrow I hit the gym for some cross training, as recommended by the Team In Training people and while I may be a bit too trusting, I'm gonna take their word for it.

Oh yeah, this is what I wanted to tell you (I knew I should have posted earlier). When I decided to run a marathon I bought some books, because really, how better to train than by reading? Seriously though, I figured I could pick up a thing or two and didn't really have a full understanding of how hands on Team would be. Anyway, I got two books, one was really small and looked like it could be read on a short flight while the other resembled a text book of some sort. I'll let you guess which one I read. According to this book it is very important not to overtrain for a marathon. You need to take days off on schedule and even if you are feeling particularly great on a rest day you MUST give your body that time to recover from your last run.

No worries there.

I know that Training Wheels is about the marathon and the training process, but I feel as though I should follow up on yesterday's entry. I don't really know anything else about the death of my colleague's son. A few people took part of the day to make a trip up to his house so I'm sure they'll have details on what happened and a memorial service tomorrow. It's just all kinds of horrible and no one has any words to help make sense of it all. Everyone at the office today was very somber and the sadness hung heavy in the hallways. I found out tonight through total and complete coincidence that the boyfriend of my girlfriend's roommate (take a second to figure that one out) was actually one of the boy's teachers last year.

The world is a strange place. I guess we just all try to help eachother through when things get especially unfair and hope that someone will be there to do the same for us when it's our turn.

Thanks for reading. More later...

DAY 3
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 0
TOTAL MILEAGE: 8.5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home