Thursday, August 17, 2006

Day Five - The First OFFICIAL Workout

Apparently last Saturday was just a casual run. That's according to our head coach Ramon. So I guess I was just casually putting all of my weight on the banister and praying that my legs would not collapse from under me on Monday. Good to know.

Jen's rundraising update: she's over a thousand bucks. I'm happy for her and hate her a little bit all at the same time. Seriously though, way to go Jen. Anything over 5 grand goes right to me, right? I mean, that was the deal we made when I decided to run, wasn't it?

OK, so yesterday I didn't think I was going to make it to the Team session but I ended up making it back into the city earlier than anticipated. I got back to my apartment at about 6:00, quickly changed and walked down to Madison and 92nd where we checked in and then headed to Central Park for the actual work out. Wednesday sessions will be focused mainly on form, technique and sort of whipping our asses into shape. Saturdays will be for longer runs and building endurance. Last night we got a tutorial on upper body form while running. The most positive thing I took from all of this is that I already have decent form - who knew? Well...as far as my arms are concerned that is. I do have to remember to keep my back a little more straight and my shoulders back. Oh and my wrists need to be loose - gotta work on that. But everything else - everything between my shoulders and my wrists - that's spot on. Hooray for me.

We (the intermediate/advanced group) did 3 laps around The Resevoir (1.57 miles per lap) while everyone's hero Jen and the rest of her group did two laps. So you probably want to go and send her more money now or something. The trick was that we had to alternate between running normally and running with really exaggerated arm movements. So basically there were about 100 people running around The Resevoir last night like complete lunatics in the midst of some kind of spasm. I got a pretty nifty cramp in my side on the second lap and for a second thought I was done for but then remembered that I'm all man and just decided to run through it. When that didn't work I started doing some crazy lamaze breathing, which I might have been doing wrong because I got really lightheaded and sort of blacked out. The rest of the run is a blur. I'll be honest, it was a nice way to end the day.

By the time I dragged my ass around for the third time everyone was already stretching. I was just glad they were still there. After the stretching Jen and I walked back to the meeting point with Ramon and she was so boring that he ran away from us at the first opportunity. Way to go Jen.

Oh yeah, I keep meaning to tell you guys - my Mentor's name is Dragan. Fucking Dragan. That's pretty rad, you've gotta admit. Mentor's have teams made up of like 10 - 12 people and they basically answer questions for us and train with us for the specific run that we are signed up for. I think our whole team should shave our heads and get dragons tattooed on the back, but that idea hasn't caught on yet. Pansies.

All right, that's about it for day 5 (even though I'm technically posting this on day 6). After the run last night my calves got really tight and I was a little worried about how I'd feel this morning when I woke up, but to tell the truth, I actually feel pretty good.

Right up until I think about how much money I have to raise for this to actually happen.

Thanks for reading. More later...

DAY 5
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 4.7
TOTAL MILEAGE: 13.21

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home