Friday, December 01, 2006

Day One Hundred Nine - Same IT, Different Day

Our Wednesday evening practice was switch to Tuesday this week throwing the world into disarray. Thus, the lack of blogging this week. Also, I've been extremely lazy and unmotivated pretty much since Thanksgiving, give or take. This happens between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I kinda don't get why they don't just give us the whole month off to recharge, but whatever.

So, if you remember from Sunday I kinda screwed up my IT band and wasn't feeling so hot about it. I kept icing it off and on through Monday night and on Tuesday headed over to practice. G-Rocks punked out so she could brown nose at her new job, so it was up to me, Drew and Charlotte to keep things going for the team. I guess once you win the Spirit T you can just coast the rest of the way.

Drew and I were both feeling a little apprehensive about the run because we were both nursing sore knees. The gist of this week's practice was pacing. Warm up for 5 - 8 minutes, then run at Marathon Pace for a little over a mile, then turn back and run the second half of practice FASTER than Marathon Pace, just to give us an idea of where we should be with our effort levels. We were timing ourselves to the halfway point and then back, and our time back should have beaten our time out by around 3 minutes. Got it? It doesn't really matter if you don't.

The entire run was 5.5 miles - not really long enough to really push my IT band, but long enough for me to know that it hasn't gone away. Around the 4th mile I started to feel it again and by the end of the run I was hurting. But I was also pushing myself effort wise, so hopefully I can get some more distance out of it if I am keeping things slow on Saturday morning. We shall see. Still nervous with the race coming up, but what can you do? Just keep running and resting it I guess. For the record, ran out in 27:34 and back in just over 24:00, so I guess I did it right.

Drew really did a number on his IT band and is in rough shape right now. Compared to him I've got it easy, so let's all hope he can get enough rest to heal up in the next few weeks. His wind is good for the long run, it's just keeping the wheels moving, you know? I'll join Jen in sending whatever good vibes I've got his way.

Priming up for another 18 tomorrow. You know I'll tell you how it goes.

DAY 109
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 5.5
TOTAL MILEAGE: 257.5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home