Monday, September 18, 2006

Day Thirty Seven - So Much For The Afterglow

Woke up Sunday morning, still in Maryland. My new best friend and training guru Adam was taking the day off but I wanted to get a few miles in. He sketched a course around the neighborhood out for us and Becky and I took off to run 3 or so miles. The first mile was tough. Really tough. We had a long day of drinking, eating and watching football on Saturday (11:30PM never felt so late before) and it took us a while to get into any kind of rhythm. My knees were feeling sore and my calves were tight from the day before. That feeling of accomplishment from Saturday was wearing sort thin...but not totally, so I let myself feel rickety and worn down.

We got the opportunity to learn a little something about ourselves early on in the run when a small child fell off of his bike about 100 yards away from us and we basically did nothing. As heartless as that sounds he didn't appear to be hurt, just scared. He got right back up and walked his bike to the side of the road. Plus his brother was there to help him out. In retospect, I think it would have been better if we just kept running instead of stopping, watching, then continuing with our run, but at least we made sure that he could walk. I think there are people out there that would have instinctively run over to the kid without a second thought. I am not one of those people which leads me to believe that a) there may be something seriously wrong with me or b) while I may not be a completely rotton person, I'm nowhere near ready to be a parent.

Just a note: by the time we ran back down the street the kid was back on his bike (this time wearing a helmet) so maybe we've just got really good instincts and the kid was fine the whole time.

We sort of screwed up on our course (although I maintain that had Adam's drawing been to scale we would have been fine) and didn't go quite as far as we would have liked to. Got back to the house a little less than a half hour later, and while I was technically supposed to go about 4 miles, I was happy to be done and more than willing to let myself slide on distance. I'll assume we were running about a 10 minute mile and that we covered about 2.5 all together. Felt good to get out and do something after the long run on Saturday, but I don't know how the 4 would have felt. It was nice to have company on both of my runs this weekend though and I know both Becky and Adam helped me get where I was going.

After a fantastic lunch (The Sunday Sandwich - I just like the name) we headed back up to NYC. Thanks to Lara and Adam for a great weekend and congrats on your beautiful home. I'm hoping we can make it back down again soon. Also thanks to Dan for driving and to Bridget for letting me have the front seat.

A special thanks to the latest contributors who have generously donated to the cause: Marc, Mike, Skyler, Jen G. and Larry. I'm getting really close to hitting 50% and you guys are a big reason why. Thanks so much.

Today is a day off, which is a good feeling. More later...

DAY 37
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 2.5
TOTAL MILEAGE: 85.5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home