Friday, September 15, 2006

Day Thirty Four - Three Days...IN A ROW!

Because of my schedule (I'm a social butterfly) I don't think that I've actually done a full week of training since this whole thing started. Just to catch any new readers up (I say that as a joke - I know it's just me and you Jen), here's our schedule:

Saturday - Team Session: Long Run
Sunday - EZ Run (Currently 4-6 Miles)
Monday - OFF
Tuesday - Cross Training
Wednesday - Team Session: Endurance, Form, Etc.
Thursday - EZ Run (Currently 4-6 Miles)
Friday - OFF

For me a training week starts on Saturdays because I believe strongly in living my life arbitrarily.

Anyway, for one reason or another I have had a difficult time getting all five workouts into any given week. I'm averaging about 4 I think. Even this week I took Sunday off after my horrible run on Saturday. It's easy to do when you convince yourself that you're too busy and that you've been working really hard and blah blah blah.

So yesterday was sort of a big day for me. I had gotten my cross training in on Tuesday and attended the Team workout on Wednesday. So yesterday I was left to my own devices and it was raining and I was feeling a little tired but it was a day I knew I should definitely run because it would give me the three in a row thing that I haven't really been able to pull off regularly (if at all). Basically, laziness was the issue and I was giving myself all sorts of excuses to skip the 4 miles or so that I should have been running.

But I didn't. After work I headed to the gym and got on the treadmill. I always feel like Astro from the Jetsons on those things. They're just the weirdest invention to me. I want to run, but I don't want to go anywhere or risk having to interact with other people. And yet I think the cross trainer is the coolest thing ever. I'm weird. Anyway, I get on the thing and I do a half mile to warm up. Then I crank it up to 6.3 miles an hour (9:34 minutes a mile). I stuck with that for another 4 miles, which wasn't what I would call "easy" but it also wasn't a killer or anything either. It was just running. After four miles at that pace I did another quarter mile to cool down and called it a day. I realized while stretching that, while I was sweating like a banshee, my heart rate actually returned to normal quite quickly. I wasn't breathing heavy or anything. I guess that's sort of the expected result of running 60 miles in a month, but it was still a nice little surprise.

Off to Baltimore for the weekend, but we're staying with some AVID runners who have invited me to join in on a 15 mile run on Saturday. While that won't be happening I will try and hang with them for 9. You'll hear all about it should I survive. But that's tomorrow. Today is a day off and I'm going to enjoy it and let my tired legs recover.

Thanks for reading. More later...

DAY 34
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 4.75
TOTAL MILEAGE: 74

PS - Oh yeah - our coaches and some mentors are off to New Hampshire for the weekend to run this crazy 200 mile race through mountains and stuff that they run relay style. My mentor Dragan has three six mile stretches that he'll be running for his team. I don't know if I would have said this a month ago, but that sounds so cool. Good luck to them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nyree said...

You would be wrong on the "nobody's reading" thing Yoda. I can't lift my ship out of the swamp...so I watch you do it...in awe. - Luke Skywalker

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home