Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Day One Hundred Thirteen - Unlucky Day

Another Saturday morning, another group run in Central Park. Got there a little before 8:00 and talked to Christine, one of the coaches, about my IT Band issues. She gave me the same advice that Steve gave me last week and told me to take it easy and see how far I could go. We were scheduled to run anywhere between 16 and 20 miles and I was cautiously optimistic that I might be able to crank out the minimum. I ran with Jen and Charlotte for the first 5 miles or so and then C split off to run a New York Road Runners race - it's one of the last qualifying races for next year's NYC Marathon (you have to run 9 races with NYRR to qualify) and happened to be taking place in the park during our Saturday practice. So Jen and I continued on around on a second 6 mile loop.

Right at the start of the run I knew my knee was going to start hurting exactly the way it did last week. I started feeling some pain around the 3rd mile. By the 6th mile I was wincing and having trouble with inclines and declines. It was strange though because when we were on a flat surface I felt great and like I could go all day. But then we'd hit another hill (you really have no idea how hilly Central Park is) and I would feel as though I couldn't go another 10 feet. I started to overcompensate and limp around mile 11 and knew that there was no way I would make 16. I decided to err on the side of caution and called it a day at 12 as Jen continued on.

I was pissed. It's just a frustrating injury when you know that there's not much you can do for it besides rest and I'm supposed to get 2 20 mile runs in over the next 3 weeks or so. I spoke with our head coach Ramon and he told me more of the same regarding the injury, although he said that I was OK time-wise and that I should be feeling better in plenty of time for the marathon, but I'm still anxious about the whole thing. I've been icing my leg and stretching as well, but I can still feel it under there. I didn't want to feel like such a quitter after talking to Ramon so I decided to try for a short 1.7 mile loop just to boost my distance a little bit, but I only made it to the first hill and then had to stop and walk back to the bag watch area. It sucked. Especially when, as I was stretching, runners who had finished 16 or 18 miles already started coming in.

Taking a week off from running. I'm supposed to be cross training, but I skipped yesterday. I have to go today, but I'm nervous about my knee hurting again and pushing my recovery back another 2 days. We're supposed to run a 10k this Sunday for time but I have to work so I'll have to get my long run in on Saturday sometime and I'm pretty nervous about that. Wish me luck.

In great news - I'm only $175.00 away from reaching my fundraising minimum! My step brother Jay and his fiance Jen get a huge thank you today as does my best friend The Rold, who is pretty much the greatest guy I know - and I write this with the full knowledge that he will NEVER read this blog.

All right, that's all for me. I'm gonna feel sorry for myself for a little while and then go to the gym and try not to hurt myself.

Take care.

DAY 113
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 12
TOTAL MILEAGE: 269.5

PS - Congratulations to my friends Dan and Bridget who got engaged Sunday night at the foot of the most romantic statue of Abe Lincoln in all of New York City. Good luck guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home