Sunday, August 27, 2006

Days Fifteen & Sixteen - Soggy Shoes

Just a quick update tonight.

Saturday woke up to the sound of rain. Lots of it. Headed up to Central Park for the weekend Team session. Coach Ramon's email on Friday informed (warned?) us that many of us would be running longer than we ever had before, so the fact that I was soaked the bone by the time I got to the 72nd St. Transverse was icing on the cake after a particularly long week. We found out that Ramon ran his 31st marathon the day before and seeing him there with us at 8:30 AM was inspiring to say the least. The rain cleared up as soon as everyone got there and it was actually nice to run in cooler weather. I've actually never minded a warm rain, so I guess I'm being a bit dramatic about the whole thing anyway. The intermediate group did the six mile loop (I was glad that I did it last week, as this time I was able to pace myself by landmark and knew exactly how much I had left and when to expect a hill). The run went well and for the first time in a couple of weeks I felt as though I could keep going by the time the workout ended. My knees hurt a bit for the rest of the day, but overall, it was a great run.

My girlfriend stayed over last night and this morning we woke up and decided to go running together. It was raining again, but it wasn't heavy. We ran a mile and a half down Central Park West and then back. It was a good, quick run and felt much shorter than half of what I did the day before. It's strange that in just over two weeks 3 - 4 miles has become an easy day, but it appears that is what has happened.

Just one short antecdote today. This afternoon my girlfriend and I went to get her some news sneakers. We went to the same place where I bought my running shoes a couple weeks back. As she was trying on a few different styles a couple of guys came in and one of them asked for help finding some running shoes. After the salesperson tried to give some advice the guy's friend said, "Um...he's actually just looking for something that looks good that he can walk around in mostly and sometimes run in. It's not like he's going to be running a marathon in these or something." And then I realized - I've become one of them. One of those people that trains to do something crazy like run a marathon. It felt kind of cool.

Thanks for reading. More later...

DAY 15
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 6
TOTAL MILEAGE: 31.64

DAY 16
TODAY'S MILEAGE: 3
TOTAL MILEAGE: 34.64

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home